May is Mental Health Awareness Month which serves as a reminder of how important it is to take care of your mental health. For anyone suffering from anxiety, depression, substance abuse, or just general stress or worry, it is OKAY to seek support. Seeking help for emotional or psychological challenges is nothing to be ashamed of. Taking care of your mental health is crucial, especially as we continue to navigate the different stages of the pandemic.
For those that don’t understand mental health issues, its easy to say “just snap out of it” or “stop worrying about it” but as we learn more about mental health, we know that its far from easy. Getting professional help from someone can help you build healthy coping strategies and identify the source of the problem.
Below are some tips that can help take relieve negative thoughts and feelings.
- Exercise is a great way to boost your mood while also being good for your physical body.
- Relax your mind for 2 to 5 minutes a day to reduce stress and center yourself through regulated breathing. Try a Meditation app or YouTube video.
- Check your diet. Studies show that unhealthy eating habits can worsen anxiety and depression while healthy foods can boost your mood.
- Set and achieve goals by making them measurable and attainable. Focus on short- and long-term changes.
- Do something meaningful with your time. Do an activity you enjoy but haven’t done in a while or try something new.
- Be creative. Studies show that creativity can increase positive emotions, lessen depressive symptom, reduce stress or anxiety and even improve immune system function.
Leave a Reply